Monday 22 October 2012

That Feeling

It was one of those mornings this morning that felt that there should be a few birds around. As I went to bed last night the sky was clear with an easterly wind and at first light this morning there was full cloud cover with a light northeasterly wind and occasional light drizzle. I didn't have long to spare before I was chaining myself to my desk so I just checked a couple of sites within the obs recording area.

In the cemetery a Coal Tit, four Goldcrests and a Chiffchaff was all I could muster. There was some vis in the form of Meadow Pipits, Chaffinches and Redpolls. I then headed to The Mount and had a further two Coal Tits, three Goldcrests and another Chiffchaff. Unfortunately I didn't have time to go anywhere else and reluctantly headed home.

News has been coming in during the day of a huge fall at Spurn Bird Observatory with counts of 10,000 Redwings, 5,000 Fieldfares and 2,000 Bramblings! Let's hope that some of them find their way over to us in here in the west.

Hopefully coming soon to a ringing site near us:

Brambling

 Fieldfare

 Redwing

No comments: