Monday 25 March 2013

Still Cold

I was surveying farmland habitats in east Lancashire and boy was it cold with that constant 'lazy' easterly wind. In fact based on the weather and the birds I was seeing you would be forgiven for thinking it was the middle of winter and not spring.

At this time of year and in this particular habitat I would have expected to have come across singing Blackcap and Chiffchaff but not today and probably not until next week! The only hint of spring were a flock of 22 grounded Meadow Pipits with a single Grey Wagtail. Nine Redwings gave it that wintry feel and the best bird of the morning was a calling Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. A Sparrowhawk and Little Owl made 'best of the rest'.

I'm back on the pavement tomorrow so I'll be keeping my eye on those grykes whilst trying to keep them skywards as well!

No comments: