Friday 19 September 2014

A Day Too Late?

After the fantastic day Ian had at the Obs yesterday with lots of common migrants and a mega, I wondered whether it was a day too late for me this morning. These past couple of days I have been stuck indoors writing reports and I needed to get out this morning for a couple of hours. I decided I would spend an hour looking on the sea and recording vis and then 'hit' some of the migrant spots of the Obs in the hope that a few grounded migrants would be around.

At first light I was greeted with two oktas cloud cover and the wind was a very light easterly. Straight away there were birds on vis and these included three Grey Wagtails, 69 Meadow Pipits, two Alba Wags, and a Chaffinch.

The sea was relatively quiet with just two male Eiders, 21 Common Scoters, a Gannet on the sea (I think they always look odd on the sea) and a cracking summer plumaged Red-throated Diver that flew out of the bay.

My time was up for vis and I headed to some of the migrant traps and there were a few grounded migrants around in the form of four Goldcrests, two Chiffchaffs, a male Blackcap and two Spotted Flycatchers.

 Spotted Flycatcher (above & below)


I was a day late, but it was pleasant just to be out. I am hoping for a run of three mornings mist netting at the Obs starting tomorrow morning and I'll be sure to let you know what I do and don't catch!

No comments: