Monday 10 August 2015

Is This The Best County Bird Report in the UK?

Orkney is a fantastic place and I am already looking forward to my next visit in 2016. Since my first visit in only 2013 I caught up on the Orkney Bird Reports going back to 2006, and I eagerly awaited the 2013 report when it came out. And now I have just finished reading the 2014 report and it is excellent.

The Orkney Bird Report is usually one of the first county bird reports to come out. This year it came out in June which was a month or so later than usual, but still incredibly early for a county report. The covers of recent years have been graced with some fantastic artwork by the superb Orkney based bird artist Tim Wootton. 2012's report had a Roller on the cover, 2013's a Gyr Falcon and you can see from below that this year it is a cracking painting of a Woodchat Shrike.



A bonus of this years report is that it is in full colour and the usual comprehensive details of Orkney's birds in 2014 are included. I can highly recommend it, particularly if you have visited Orkney and know what a fantastic place it is. If you haven't visited Orkney get yourself up there and then buy a report!

No comments: