Monday 5 October 2015

A Bit Too Quiet After The Storm

After the excitement at the Obs over weekend, not covered here but on my joint blog with Ian here, it was a bit too quiet at the Obs yesterday morning. When I popped my head out of the door before dawn there was a touch of mist but nowhere near as much as recent days so I ventured forth.

First up was a bird that I haven't seen on the patch for about 18 months, a Barn Owl. that I picked out in my headlights perched on one of the wrapped bales in the meadow. Unfortunately the morning never really improved from here.

There was very little vis and a quick phone call to Ian who was on a hilly vantage point confirmed the reason why as the Bay north of the peninsula was locked down with murk. The only birds battling through were 362 Pink-footed Geese, nine Alba Wags, 22 Meadow Pipits, a Siskin, two Grey Wagtails and 14 Greenfinches.

Grounded migrants were limited to a Coal Tit, a male Blackcap, a Reed Bunting and a Song Thrush. I didn't bother checking anywhere else as Ian had checked the other usual migrant hot spots and they were dead.

 Coal Tit

I just sneaked in to double figures and ringed eleven birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Coal Tit - 1
Meadow Pipit - 3
Blackcap - 1
Reed Bunting - 1
Greenfinch - 2
Wren - 2
Song Thrush - 1
Robin - (1)
Wren - (2)

 Greenfinch

I don't how much birding I'll get in this week as I have a presentation to prepare on the BTO ringing scheme for Friday, so I need to crack on with that.

No comments: