Tuesday 29 December 2020

Jinxed It

I saw the late weather forecast for the northwest after the BBC news last night and it looked iffy. A quick check with the various online forecasts that I use, and all still looked well for this morning. Although I must admit, that I went to bed with the suspicion that things might have changed by the morning. 

I rolled out of bed at 6:30 this morning and the first thing I did was check the online forecasts, and my suspicions were confirmed, it wasn't looking good and sleet showers were forecast from 0800 - 1000, exactly the time when we would be ringing. A quick text to Alice to let her know that ringing was off, and that was it, I'd jinxed it by saying that it looked favourable yesterday! I don't actually believe that, but nevertheless it is frustrating. 

Gail and I headed to our Bowland feeding station later in the morning to put some food out and fill up the feeders, and it was a different day; overcast with a sharp north-easterly wind, but no sleet showers. There had obviously been some snow overnight, as all the high ground had a fresh dusting of snow. 

The usual suspects were all present at the feeding station, and after all the food was put out,
 we had a walk up the wooded valley to get some warmth back into our fingers and toes. Nothing much to record other than Nuthatches, Chaffinches, Coal Tits, Blackbirds, Wrens, Robins and eleven Mallards on the semi-frozen pond. 

Below are a few pictures from one of the feeders. 

                                      Blue Tit                                       
 
Coal Tit
 
Great Tit (above & below)




No comments: