For the first time in a few years, I have resisted the temptation to title this blog, or start it off even, with Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, from John Keats evocative poem To Autumn, even though we are indeed in the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. So, unless something better pops into my head by the time I finish writing this post, 'Meteorological Autumn' it will have to be, as it does exactly what it says on the tin.
I will start off just before meteorological autumn, when I was at Rossall Point on the morning of the 27th August, and it was similar to a couple of days previously. The only visible migration was of Swallows, and again they were heading east into the east-northeasterly wind, and numbered 71.
Swallow
The sea was similar as well, in as much as there were lots of Sandwich Terns once more. I had 106 roosting on the shore, that kept being lifted as the tide came in, and a further 158 on the move, mainly heading east into the bay.
Sandwich Terns
The biggest surprises of the morning were of a Fulmar heading into the bay on stiff wings, and four Bonxies (Great Skuas)! I say four, because I saw four birds, but were they four individuals?
I picked my first Bonxie up a long way out, heading west out of the bay, and chasing the Terns that I don’t/can’t count. These are birds that are so far out, that all I can say is that they are Terns.
Not long after that, I picked up two Bonxies heading into the bay, closer in, and once again giving the Sandwich Terns a hard time. Lots of spectacular dog fights, as the Bonxies tried to get the Terns to regurgitate any fish that they had caught. Kleptoparisitism is the term. I watched these birds head east, until I lost sight of them.
A little later, I had another Bonxie, at a similar distance head into the bay, and again aerial dog fights ensued between it and the Sandwich Terns. This bird was obviously different to the two that had shortly before headed into the bay, but was this bird number one, that had turned round, and then headed east, I don’t know. All I can safely say is that there were at least three Bonxies, and possibly four.
These were my first Bonxies off Rossall for some time, as their population has been hit hard by avian influenza, and sightings in recent years have become very scarce.
On or above the sea, I also recorded 124 Eiders, a Grey Heron, nine Common Scoters, five Mallards, 79 Cormorants (57 on King Scar Island), an Atlantic Grey Seal, 12 Common Terns, seven Gannets, a Whimbrel, and two Manx Shearwaters.
I picked my first Bonxie up a long way out, heading west out of the bay, and chasing the Terns that I don’t/can’t count. These are birds that are so far out, that all I can say is that they are Terns.
Not long after that, I picked up two Bonxies heading into the bay, closer in, and once again giving the Sandwich Terns a hard time. Lots of spectacular dog fights, as the Bonxies tried to get the Terns to regurgitate any fish that they had caught. Kleptoparisitism is the term. I watched these birds head east, until I lost sight of them.
A little later, I had another Bonxie, at a similar distance head into the bay, and again aerial dog fights ensued between it and the Sandwich Terns. This bird was obviously different to the two that had shortly before headed into the bay, but was this bird number one, that had turned round, and then headed east, I don’t know. All I can safely say is that there were at least three Bonxies, and possibly four.
These were my first Bonxies off Rossall for some time, as their population has been hit hard by avian influenza, and sightings in recent years have become very scarce.
On or above the sea, I also recorded 124 Eiders, a Grey Heron, nine Common Scoters, five Mallards, 79 Cormorants (57 on King Scar Island), an Atlantic Grey Seal, 12 Common Terns, seven Gannets, a Whimbrel, and two Manx Shearwaters.
Gannet
Waders on the shore were thin on the ground, but I had 229 Oystercatchers, 295 Sanderlings, six Curlews, 19 Ringed Plovers, and three Turnstones.
Turnstone
I called in at the cemetery and Mount Park, on my way to Jubilee Quay, but there was nothing doing in terms of grounded migrants.
At Jubilee Quay there was a small amount of roosting habitat left over the high tide, and making use of it were 123 Redshanks, 14 Turnstones, and two Common Sandpipers.
At Jubilee Quay there was a small amount of roosting habitat left over the high tide, and making use of it were 123 Redshanks, 14 Turnstones, and two Common Sandpipers.
It rained quite heavily during the night of the 28th and 29th August, and when I came out of my back door, there was a Red Admiral sheltering from the rain under the gutter of our sun lounge. A little later in the day when it had brightened up, I noticed that it had gone.
Moving into meteorological autumn, and more precisely the 5th September, Gail and I thought about a sea-watch off Rossall Point that morning, but when the forecast showed that the wind was swinging north-westerly, we decided to have a look for a few insects along the estuary from Jubilee Quay instead.
The wind had dropped considerably when we set out mid-morning, and it was warm in the sun in sheltered spots. It was a good decision, as we had a few interesting insects on our walk.
We had good numbers of butterflies, with eight Small Whites, 20 Painted Lady’s, a Speckled Wood, four Red Admirals, and two Large Whites recorded. The best butterfly was near the end of our walk, when we spotted a Clouded Yellow in the distance, foraging on some Ragwort. We tried to get closer, taking a few snaps as we went, but it took off, flew over our heads, and was gone.
The wind had dropped considerably when we set out mid-morning, and it was warm in the sun in sheltered spots. It was a good decision, as we had a few interesting insects on our walk.
We had good numbers of butterflies, with eight Small Whites, 20 Painted Lady’s, a Speckled Wood, four Red Admirals, and two Large Whites recorded. The best butterfly was near the end of our walk, when we spotted a Clouded Yellow in the distance, foraging on some Ragwort. We tried to get closer, taking a few snaps as we went, but it took off, flew over our heads, and was gone.
Painted Lady
A good number of the butterflies were feeding on some Budleja that still had a plenty of flowers on it, and in addition to the half dozen or so Common Carder Bees, and several Common Drone Flies, we had two magnificent Hornet Mimic Hoverflies.
Common Drone Fly
Walking back, we had brief views of a Hummingbird Hawkmoth whizzing along the face of the Quay wall. We have recorded them several times flying along the face of the wall, and I assume that they are taking advantage of the Budleja, Red Clover, Red Valerian etc, that grow out of the joints in the stone of the wall.
Out on the mud in the quay were 76 Redshanks, four Oystercatchers, and three Curlews.
Out on the mud in the quay were 76 Redshanks, four Oystercatchers, and three Curlews.
On the 9th September, I once again avoided a sea-watch at Rossall Point because of the north-westerly wind, that is infamous for delivering very little seabird passage along the Fylde coast. A straight westerly, or south-westerly is what is required. It is very frustrating, because we have had a series of morning tides all week!
Gail and I left it until the afternoon, when, despite the north-westerly wind, it was warm in sheltered spots, and we had one of our regular wee danders along the estuary from Jubilee Quay.
The tide was dropping in the quay, leaving lots of fresh, wet, exposed mud, full of invertebrates, and it had attracted 210 Redshanks, 10 Oystercatchers, four Turnstones, and two Black-tailed Godwits.
One of our more unusual encounters, was with an arboreal Brown Rat, that was climbing through an Apple tree to feast on the Apples, and it was odd to be viewing the rat at eye level. It exchanged glances with us, and then expertly descended through the myriads of branches to the floor, and scampered off. It had obviously done that before.
A few butterflies were still on the wing, including 12 Small Whites, five Painted Lady’s, three Red Admirals, and a Large White. We also recorded a Hummingbird Hawkmoth nectaring on Red Valerian. I attempted to photograph it, but its’ rapid movements were beyond my photography skills.
Hummingbird Hawkmoth (honest)
We noted a female Peregrine, and a female Sparrowhawk that came in to have a look at the Peregrine. We thought she was going to mob the Peregrine, but I think she thought better of it.
A couple of mornings' later, I succumbed to temptation, ignored my own sage advice, and went to Rossall Point on a north-westerly. It was a mistake, as I knew it would be, so why do it? I suppose it is the fact that it is September, so you never know. But I do know, it was a north-westerly, and north-westerlies are not to be trusted on this section of coast, whatever the time of year.
I had a Kittiwake. I also had a Sand Martin, two Grey Wagtails, 724 Herring Gulls, 11 Swallows, five Meadow Pipits, 499 Oystercatchers, 131 Eiders, 23 Common Scoters, 35 Ringed Plovers, 17 Curlews, 330 Sanderlings, and two Kestrels. And lots of Sea Rocket still flowering on the shore.
The Kittiwake was the only passage seabird, and that’s what north-westerlies do for you.
I called in at the Mount Park in Fleetwood, where a Jay dropped into the conifers briefly, before continuing east. There was nothing else, but there is always next time…
I had a Kittiwake. I also had a Sand Martin, two Grey Wagtails, 724 Herring Gulls, 11 Swallows, five Meadow Pipits, 499 Oystercatchers, 131 Eiders, 23 Common Scoters, 35 Ringed Plovers, 17 Curlews, 330 Sanderlings, and two Kestrels. And lots of Sea Rocket still flowering on the shore.
The Kittiwake was the only passage seabird, and that’s what north-westerlies do for you.
I called in at the Mount Park in Fleetwood, where a Jay dropped into the conifers briefly, before continuing east. There was nothing else, but there is always next time…
I wonder if it is going to be a Jay autumn?
On the 13th September, Gail and I completed our Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) at Fleetwood Docks, Jubilee Quay, and the reservoir on the estuary, but I made a schoolboy error, and forgot my camera.
Forgetting my camera isn’t the end of the world of course, because if I had forgotten my notebook or binoculars, I would have had to go home for them. I’ve talked about this before, but my notebook is probably my most important piece of kit after my ears.
I had my telescope, tripod, and Olympus macro camera thingy, but not my idiot proof Nikon, that enables a ‘point and shoot’ merchant like me, to take some reasonable pictures.
Forgetting my camera isn’t the end of the world of course, because if I had forgotten my notebook or binoculars, I would have had to go home for them. I’ve talked about this before, but my notebook is probably my most important piece of kit after my ears.
I had my telescope, tripod, and Olympus macro camera thingy, but not my idiot proof Nikon, that enables a ‘point and shoot’ merchant like me, to take some reasonable pictures.
We bumped into a lovely gentleman down by the estuary, who was looking for insects, and we shared a bit of information, and lamented the fact that even though there had been a few butterflies around this summer, Commas seemed to be thin on the ground. Then walking back along the path, we came across three together, sunning themselves on some Bramble, and where was my camera…
We started off at Fleetwood Docks, and on the Jubilee Quay section recorded 47 Redshanks, a Curlew, 25 Black-headed Gulls, 11 Common Gulls, and two Teal.
There was a steady passage of Swallows and Meadow Pipits heading south, and we could hear Pink-footed Geese high overhead, our first for the autumn. A Willow Warbler called from the scrub adjacent to the quay, but we didn’t have anything else migrant-wise.
On to the reservoir adjacent to the Wyre estuary, and walking towards the estuary along the public footpath we recorded a few plants, and noted four Long-tailed Tits, two Cetti’s Warblers, a Chiffchaff, and a Kestrel. It was along here that we encountered the aforementioned Comma butterflies, and lamented my forgetfulness in terms of my camera, and had two Speckled Wood butterflies as well.
On the reservoir were 10 Coots, five Moorhens, six Little Grebes, six Tufted Ducks, and five Wigeon in eclipse plumage.
Out on the saltmarsh we recorded a Common Sandpiper, 57 Redshanks, and a single Greenshank. Meadow Pipits and Swallows continued to move south, and we continued to hear the ‘wink-wink’ of Pink-footed Geese overhead, but we could only clap eyes on 128 of these Icelandic arrivals.
Further downstream, Grey Herons and Little Egrets had started roosting on the banking at the edge of the saltmarsh at Fleetwood Marsh, and they numbered 11 and 18 respectively. Depending on how far the tide would make, they would hopefully be able to sit out the 9.9 metre tide.
We started off at Fleetwood Docks, and on the Jubilee Quay section recorded 47 Redshanks, a Curlew, 25 Black-headed Gulls, 11 Common Gulls, and two Teal.
There was a steady passage of Swallows and Meadow Pipits heading south, and we could hear Pink-footed Geese high overhead, our first for the autumn. A Willow Warbler called from the scrub adjacent to the quay, but we didn’t have anything else migrant-wise.
On to the reservoir adjacent to the Wyre estuary, and walking towards the estuary along the public footpath we recorded a few plants, and noted four Long-tailed Tits, two Cetti’s Warblers, a Chiffchaff, and a Kestrel. It was along here that we encountered the aforementioned Comma butterflies, and lamented my forgetfulness in terms of my camera, and had two Speckled Wood butterflies as well.
On the reservoir were 10 Coots, five Moorhens, six Little Grebes, six Tufted Ducks, and five Wigeon in eclipse plumage.
Out on the saltmarsh we recorded a Common Sandpiper, 57 Redshanks, and a single Greenshank. Meadow Pipits and Swallows continued to move south, and we continued to hear the ‘wink-wink’ of Pink-footed Geese overhead, but we could only clap eyes on 128 of these Icelandic arrivals.
Further downstream, Grey Herons and Little Egrets had started roosting on the banking at the edge of the saltmarsh at Fleetwood Marsh, and they numbered 11 and 18 respectively. Depending on how far the tide would make, they would hopefully be able to sit out the 9.9 metre tide.
With wet and blustery conditions over this past week, our garden light trap has only been out on a couple occasions, and the combined total for both catches was 90 moths of 10 species, including two Silver Ys, 33 Lesser Yellow Underwings, 11 Square-spot Rustics, 22 Large Yellow Underwings, two Vine’s Rustics, three Small Dusty Waves, and a Rush Veneer.
Square-spot Rustic
Talking of the blustery conditions, there have been a number of a particular bird species that epitomise meteorological autumn. Towards the end of last week, and into Saturday, a number of Leach’s Petrels were recorded in various locations off the Fylde coast.
I had a look off Rossall Point on Saturday afternoon, and had eight Leach’s Petrels head west out of the bay. One individual had to escape the unwanted attentions of three juvenile Great Black-backed Gulls, and luckily for the Leach’s Petrel it was fit and healthy enough to out fly them.
An exhausted Guillemot distantly on the shore wasn’t as lucky, and unfortunately it was killed by some juvenile Great Black-backed Gulls. This often happens to some of these exhausted seabirds during stormy conditions. Normally, the Guillemot would just dive to escape the Great Black-backed Gulls, but when they are exhausted, and stranded on the shore, this isn’t possible.
In addition to the Leach’s, I recorded 24 Common Scoters, two Guillemots, and three Manx Shearwaters.
The wind went north-westerly overnight into Sunday, so it was pointless returning to Rossall, even though there was a morning tide. As the wind had dropped a little, Gail and I decided to have a walk along the Wyre estuary from Jubilee Quay.
In the sheltered spots, it was warm and calm enough for a few butterflies to be on the wing, and it was only a few, and we had two Silver Ys (a moth of course), three Red Admirals, three Painted Lady’s, and singles of Small Copper and Small White.
Out on the mud of the quay were 55 Redshanks, three Oystercatchers, and a Common Sandpiper.
I had a look off Rossall Point on Saturday afternoon, and had eight Leach’s Petrels head west out of the bay. One individual had to escape the unwanted attentions of three juvenile Great Black-backed Gulls, and luckily for the Leach’s Petrel it was fit and healthy enough to out fly them.
An exhausted Guillemot distantly on the shore wasn’t as lucky, and unfortunately it was killed by some juvenile Great Black-backed Gulls. This often happens to some of these exhausted seabirds during stormy conditions. Normally, the Guillemot would just dive to escape the Great Black-backed Gulls, but when they are exhausted, and stranded on the shore, this isn’t possible.
In addition to the Leach’s, I recorded 24 Common Scoters, two Guillemots, and three Manx Shearwaters.
The wind went north-westerly overnight into Sunday, so it was pointless returning to Rossall, even though there was a morning tide. As the wind had dropped a little, Gail and I decided to have a walk along the Wyre estuary from Jubilee Quay.
In the sheltered spots, it was warm and calm enough for a few butterflies to be on the wing, and it was only a few, and we had two Silver Ys (a moth of course), three Red Admirals, three Painted Lady’s, and singles of Small Copper and Small White.
Out on the mud of the quay were 55 Redshanks, three Oystercatchers, and a Common Sandpiper.
Yesterday morning Gail and I had a ringing session at the Nature Park, and we ringed 22 birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):
Reed Bunting - 3
Blackcap - 1
Cetti's Warbler - 5
Great Tit - 3
Chiffchaff - 3
Long-tailed Tit - 3
Wren - 1 (1)
Dunnock - 2
Greenfinch - 1
Chiffchaff
The two most interesting species of the morning were Jay and Wood Sandpiper. We had six Jays drop in to the Willow scrub on site, and then take off shortly afterwards, climb, and head east.
After about 8:30 a.m. we had some light drizzle for the remainder of the morning, and shortly after it started, a Wood Sandpiper appeared, calling, and circling around, as if looking for somewhere to land. It dropped below the height of the reedbed and scrub, so we couldn’t see whether it landed, or carried on. At first it seemed to be circling one of our net rides, and I wondered if there was some Wood Sandpiper call, on one of the recordings I was playing on one of our MP3 players, but I think it was the drizzle that dropped it in. Unfortunately, the pool close to where we ring is dry at the moment, so I suspect it didn’t linger.
We had very little over, other than five Reed Buntings, a couple of Snipe and a handful of Meadow Pipits, and I suspect that the bay was locked down in murk.
It was nice to see quite a bit of Eyebright flowering, along with Common Centaury and Herb Robert.
Eyebright sp.
And that was the start of meteorological autumn...
No comments:
Post a Comment