Sunday 26 October 2008

The Wrong Trousers, 26th October 2008

I certainly had the wrong trousers on at Rossall Point this morning and I probably had them on a couple of days too early. For some reason I had it in my head that it would be cold seawatching off Rossall this morning so I put my fleece lined winter seawatching trousers on and combined with fleece lined shirt, scarf and hat I slowly cooked!

It was very slow at first and after about an hour I nearly packed in and then Howard arrived so I decided to give it a bit longer, probably so I didn't get gripped off. I was about to pack in again and leave the sea to Howard and Ian arrived and decided to give it a bit longer, again probably so as not to be gripped off. Anyway I spent over 3 hours not seeing a great deal, there were a few bits and bobs, but it was rather quiet on the whole.

As the tide came in the waders as usual tried to roost on the beach but the usual tossers with their four-legged bird scarers did their utmost to prevent this happening. It's about time that dogs were banned from all public spaces and then we wouldn't have this problem. Okay that might be a bit extreme, because there probably are 1 or 2 responsible dog owners, so dogs should always be on a lead in public spaces. Anyway back to the constantly flushed waders that included 235 Oystercatchers and 45 Sanderlings.

I suppose the main feature of the sea this morning were the Kittiwakes. In total we had 126 move out of the bay. Most were quite a long way out and following ferries out into the Irish Sea. One or two did come close in like 2 cracking first winters that gave us stonking views as they flew through the surf.

The supporting cast included 3 Eiders, 11 Auk sp. (at Starr Gate these would all be positively identified!), Red-throated Diver, Common Scoter, Great Crested Grebe and 3 Pintail.

No comments: