Sunday 29 March 2009

Migrantless Morning!

I set off to Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park this morning at 6.15 a.m. with a few chardonneret and spring traps in my boot in the hope that I could ring a few Wheatears. Hope was the operative word after I felt how cold it was, - 2 c, as I drove there. Besides the effect this would have on the chances of any migrants it would send my meal worms to sleep!

So on arrival I switched from ringing mode to birding mode. As the title suggests I didn't have a single migrant. On the pools were 42 Coot, male Ruddy Duck, 8 Tufted Ducks, 7 Little Grebes, female Goldeneye and Great Crested Grebe.

I then went on to Rossall School in the hope that some good migrant habitat on the coast might pull a few birds in, but I had nothing grounded (way too clear) and nothing moving through other than 24 Meadow Pipits and a handful of Chaffinch and Linnet. The forecast is for it to warm up in the week so hopefully I will pick up a few bits and pieces then.

Now when we get the fella below in you know that summer has arrived!

No comments: