Saturday 18 July 2009

The Right Hat, The Right Trousers, But The Wrong Wind Direction

I don't know why I am complaining about the wind direction as it always useless sea watching in a northwesterly off Rossall Point. I think it is more the fact that if I am not at work I have to go birding. Anyway, as you have gathered I went to Rossall Point this morning and it was fairly quiet. There was some movement on the sea and I had 37 Gannets, 17 Common Scoters, 2 Fulmars and 5 Kittiwakes. Mind you I had some stonking views of Gannets flying into and out of the bay really close in; superb!

The sea off Rossall Point

At about 7.30 a.m I heard a guy walk past and shout to me "have you spotted any Herring Gulls?". At first I thought he was clued up and was concerned about the declining number of Herring Gulls and how they had just recently gone on to the red list, but when he offered me a can of lager I realised he was just a drunken yob trying to be funny!

On the way home I dropped in to Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park to have a look at the pools. There were a few big Gulls from the tip bathing and preening but they were only Herring and Lesser Black-backs. In addition to the Gulls there was little of note and the 'little of note' included 4 Little Grebes, 32 Coots and 24 Mallards.

I'll have to see what tomorrow brings!

No comments: