Sunday 2 August 2009

Seawatching - Literally

This morning at Rossall Point I was literally 'sea watching'! Not a single seabird; no Terns, Gannets, Shears - nothing (insert your own seabird here)! Now, don't get me wrong it wasn't absolutely perfect conditions and I wasn't expecting the sea to be peppered with Stormies, but I did think it would be better than a big fat zilch! It was first light, there was a stiff westerly breeze, incoming tide etc, etc, etc. Anyway, enough moaning.

All I had to put in my notebook were 190 Oycs and 110 Starlings. Wow!!!

I then called in at Fleetwood Marsh Nature Park, but it was quiet here too. On the 'Tyre Pool' I had my largest count of Lapwings for the autumn and there were 24 on the pool. Wildlfowl and associated water birds included 35 Coots, 4 Little Grebes, 2 Grey Herons, 23 Mallards and 10 Tufteds.

I thought I would show you a couple of pictures that were sent to me recently by Kane who rings in the Manchester area and I do highly recommend that you look at his blog 'Bird Ringing', a link to which can be found on the right. In the Fylde, where I do most of my birding, Bullfinch are very scarce probably due to a lack of over mature hedges and scrubby woodland. Below you will find a couple of pictures of male Bullfinch caught and ringed by Kane.


No comments: