Tuesday 13 October 2009

Clear Above - Murky Ahead

I had a couple of hours free this morning so as ever I headed to Rossall Point. It had been clear overnight and I periodically stepped outside to listen for Redwings, but I heard nothing. Likewise first thing this morning when going outside in the dark I didn't hear any either. So no Redwings today for me.

As I climbed on to the dunes with clear skies above, I looked across Morecambe Bay and it was murky! I could just about make out Heysham but looking further west I couldn't see Barrow. This will have an effect on the vis I thought, and it did!

As always there were some birds moving and these included 27 Meadow Pipits, 6 Alba Wagtails, 3 Rock Pipits, 2 Grey Wagtails, 18 Jackdaw and a Great Spotted Woodpecker!


Waders were virtually non-existent with 19 Oystercatchers, 10 Ringed Plovers, 21 Sanderlings and a handful of Turnstones. There was an increase in the number of Stonechats to 4, made up of 3 males and a female. The only other chat I had was a single Wheatear on the golf course.

Out on the sea it was fairly quiet and all I logged were 101 Common Scoters, 20 Eiders and 3 Red-throated Divers. Some of the Common Scoters were close-in and looked fantastic in the strong light, as did the Red-throat that fed just offshore.

On my way home from work I called in at Rawcliffe Moss to feed the Tree Sparrows and the first thing that struck me were the number of Pink-footed Geese. I had a good total of 4,562 birds feeding out on the moss. Tree Sparrow numbers are still looking good and I counted 71, but there could have been more.

No comments: