Thursday 15 October 2009

More Tree Sparrows

Yesterday evening I periodically checked whether there were any Redwings were on the move and although it started promising at 12 calls per minute over my house at 20:25, by 22:40 I was only averaging 1-2 calls per minute. Likewise this morning I was recording only 6 calls per minute, although I did have a group of 25 come out of the mist and head southeast.

I called at my feeding station on Rawcliffe Moss today and it was pleasing to report that the Tree Sparrows had increased to at least 96 birds with a few Chaffinches mixed in. Down the 'feeding station' hedge there was a group of three Yellowhammers.


The numbers of Pink-footed Geese had increased from Tuesday and I had an impressive 6,071 feeding in some stubble to the west of where I was parked. Close by 250 Lapwings were flushed and 59 Jackdaws flew towards the stubble field to feed. On the edge of some woodland I had a small flock of 16 Goldfinch and I pushed 60 Woodpigeon from the same trees. I was hoping to get a closer look at the Pink-feet as they fed but as I got close they all put their heads up, and I retreated before I spooked them.

I thought that I would use a few more pictures from my good mate Nigel and below you will find Tennessee Warbler and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. No reasons or excuses for showing them. I just adore North American birds and that's it!


No comments: