Friday 16 July 2010

A Day Too Early?

I rolled out of bed this morning at 4.00 a.m. and I could hear the wind and rain lashing against the conservatory. The plan was to do a short sea watch before work at Rossall Point. I battled my way a long the sea front and took shelter behind the Coastguard's Tower. The wind was a strong south-southwesterly (perhaps a little too southerly) and the visibility was very poor.


The Sea Off Rossall Point As It Came Light

I stuck it out for an hour and a quarter and returned home having seen very little at all. In fact I didn't see any sea birds, let alone a Stormie! As the tide dropped a few waders appeared on the beach including 15 Oystercatchers, Turnstone, 4 Ringed Plovers, 2 Whimbrel, 26 Sanderlings and 10 Dunlin. Some of the Sanderling were in summer plumage and looked absolutely stunning. No chance of a photograph I'm afraid in these weather conditions.

Oystercatchers

It looks like more of the same for the weekend so I doubt I will get out ringing, but I haven't given up on that Storm Petrel!

No comments: