Saturday 3 July 2010

Moths, Sweat and No Bird Pictures!

No real birding for me today as such as I had a few essential bits of DIY to do, like blocking a hole up to stop mice getting in to my kitchen!

I emptied the moth trap this morning and I caught 23 moths of 10 species that included 3 new species for the garden. The totals were Garden Carpet, Flame Shoulder, 12 Heart and Darts, 4 Dusky Brocades, Bright-line Brown-eye, Common Rustic (new), Light Arches (new), Rustic (new), Mottled Rustic and Marbled Beauty.

This afternoon I met Gary, Ian, Phil and Sarah at the Nature park to re-trim our net rides ready for 6 weeks of Acro ringing. Sarah and her industrial sized strimmer cut a 200 foot ride in the reeds and the rest of us concentrated on 'tidying' up the three net rides in the willow scrub.

Freshly Cut Mist Net Ride

I had a quick look on the pools and had 38 Coot (16 juvs.), 3 Little Grebes (2 juvs), male Pochard, 23 Mallards, 4 Tufted Ducks, 33 Herring Gulls and 10 Lesser Black-backed Gulls. A Grasshopper Warbler reeled from some scrub and a Lesser Whitethroat 'ticked' from some mature willows.

No comments: