Saturday 11 December 2010

Isn't it Brilliant Working a Local Patch?

I suppose this is a rhetorical question but I hope that you all agree that it is brilliant working a local patch. Better than dashing all over the country chasing rare birds and it adds a great deal to our knowledge of certain species and this information is valuable for conservation purposes. And it's great fun!

This morning was a case in point when I went to Rossall. I hadn't been to the 'obs' for a week or so and I was itching to get there. When I arrived there was a fairly strong northwesterly wind and after I had been walking for a few minutes it seemed particularly birdless. I crossed the small field surrounded by hedges where we put up our nets and a Grey Heron flew low right and flushed a Lapwing from the field. A Lapwing! Excellent! I was so pleased with this sighting and this is the kind of excitement that local patch birding can create. Don't get me wrong I see plenty of Lapwings flying over the obs in Spring and Autumn, but this bird was on the deck and it was the first I have seen on the deck here for a long time. I was happy with this and didn't really care if I saw anything else or not, but I did.

I headed south towards the dunes and reedbed and I flushed a Woodcock from this area. So this was the second weather displaced bird I had. I was really pleased again, a product of local patch birding. I then flushed a Song Thrush from the dunes and a second from a patch of rose hips just behind the sea wall. Brilliant.

 Pictures of Woodcocks in Northumberland sent to me by Gary W. 
Thanks Gary!

I then headed north along the sea wall to take up a position to have a quick look on the sea. As I walked along a flock of 8 Linnets lifted from the short turf behind the wall. I got in position and scanned the beach and low and behold 2 more Lapwings! Other waders included 2 Sanderling, 17 Oystercatchers, 7 Redshanks, 2 Turnstones and a Grey Plover.

There were a few Cormorants moving north like last week, but nowhere near as many, just 53 this morning. I had 15 Eiders on the sea and 61 Common Scoters flew back and forth in small groups. I had 5 Red-throated Divers moving and 2 male Scaup flew south. I then headed back to the car and it was fairly quiet other than a flock of 9 Chaffinch.

I called in at the Marine Lakes and had 2 male Goldeneyes, 7 Red-breatsed Mergansers and 12 Tufted Ducks.


Tufted Ducks



I am off to see my mates band 'Entangled' tonight so it will be an evening of 70s prog rock and real ale, followed hopefully by some ringing in the morning!

No comments: