Sunday 5 December 2010

Weary Weekend Weather

Ringing sessions were planned for both days this weekend but had to be cancelled because of the weather. Yesterday morning we had a mixture of sleet and rain falling on to frozen ground, which wasn't good! I did venture out to Rawcliffe Moss to feed and it was rather unpleasant walking down to the feeding station in the cold and wet conditions. At the feeding station there were 91 Tree Sparrows, 12 Chaffinch and 3 Corn Buntings. At the car I had a party of 11 Long-tailed Tits moving along the hedge.

Back at home I set my 'drop-trap' in the garden and managed to ring 5 Starlings.

 Starling

Driving home from seeing Kate Rusby last night the freezing fog was rolling in. I had already decided that based on the weather there would be no ringing and now there would be no birding. A glance out of the window this morning at 7.15 showed that the freezing fog was lingering so I had another hour in bed!


Frozen spider's webs in the garden


2 comments:

Ghost of Stringer said...

LAZY, LAZY, LAZY !!

You seeing any woodcocks over there ? Loads over here in the last few days.

The Hairy Birder said...

I was a bit today G!

I had one in the week. If you're getting loads then hopefully they should find their way over here if it remains cold.