Wednesday 23 March 2011

Pastures Old

I had a little bit of time today before and after seeing one of my clients Over Wyre and this gave me the opportunity to have a quick look at a couple of patches that some years ago I used to 'work' regularly. First port of call before my appointment was Fluke Hall. I parked in the car park and walked west along the sea embankment towards Knott End.

 Looking east towards Fluke Hall

There was some 'vis' and it was all easterly and included 4 Siskins, 4 Alba Wags, 18 Meadow Pipits, Linnet and 2 Lesser Redpolls. Out on the saltmarsh close to the sea wall were 28 Redshanks and 108 Curlews. The Curlews were interesting to watch as they flew onto the marsh as some of them were displaying to each other and then they were joined by 6 Golden Plovers.

 Redshanks

I had a look in the woodland and on the pool at Fluke Hall but it was quiet, not a Chifchaff or Willow Warbler in sight!

The pool and woodland at Fluke Hall

After my appointment I had a very late lunch break at Lane Ends. In the plantation I had 2 Goldcrests and that was it. I had a walk to Pilling Water and back where I flushed a Little Egret that flew from the pool behind the sea wall on to the saltmarsh. I think because when I started birding Little Egrets were a big rarity I still can't help feeling a little excited every time I see one, even though they are now very common.

 Looking north across Morecambe Bay from Lane Ends

The plantation at Lane Ends

The Little Egret landed on the sea embankment...

...and then flew onto the saltmarsh

...to feed

It's some early morning ringing for Craig, Ian and I before work tomorrow so I'll let you know how we get on.

No comments: