Friday 4 March 2011

Still More Preparations For Spring

It seems as if it is all work and no play at the moment. This afternoon I went to Rawcliffe Moss to clear a couple of net rides in the '97 Hedge' where I intend to do a bit of 'me' ringing this summer on some mornings before work. You can see from the photographs below that the net rides I cleared look very open at the moment, but in the summer they will be fine. I will need to keep on top of them and strim them regularly to keep them open.

 Before

After

It was my intention to have a walk round afterwards up towards the plantation, but the farmers were busy lifting spuds in that direction so it seemed pointless to head up there. Quite a number of species were singing including Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Dunnock, Wren and Song Thrush. Only one Buzzard today; I called to it and it called back to me several times but I couldn't get it to come close enough for a photograph.

There were still 15 Tree Sparrows feeding on what's left of the seed at the feeding station and I had a couple of Reed Buntings along the '97 Hedge'. In the big field were 9 Stock Doves and a flock of 130 Lapwing took to the air, obviously flushed by something.

Back at home as I was unloading my car I took the following pictures of a 2nd year male Blackbird in my front garden. 




We received details from the BTO today of a few interesting recoveries. A Goldfinch ringed in Will's garden on 25th April 2010 was controlled in Broad Oak, Devon on 28th December 2010; 351 km to the south (see below).


 Goldfinch

A Kestrel chick ringed as part of a brood of four at Moss House Farm by Phil and Will on 20th June 2010 was found freshly dead 101 km to the southeast in Hathersage, Derbyshire on 17th December 2010.


Kestrel

Ian and I are off to Rossall tomorrow for our first Spring ringing session at the 'obs', so I'll let you know how we get on. As I write my moth trap is on in the garden for the first time this year. I must admit I am not expecting to catch much tomorrow, birds of moths!

No comments: