Wednesday 5 October 2011

Not Blowing Long Enough

I went to Rossall Point this morning for first light to watch the falling tide. The wind was a good 25 mph southwesterly but unfortunately it hadn't been blowing long enough for some storm driven seabirds. After just over an hour I got fed up after seeing just 4 Eiders, Common Scoter and 2 Cormorants and decided to call it a day. I know, I'm a lightweight!

I called in at the obs to put some seed down at the feeding station and then dropped by the Nature Park on my way home. On the pools were 3 Tufted Ducks, 7 Pochards, 2 Little Grebes, 18 Coot and 13 Mallards.

It's going to remain windy overnight with the wind westerly and about 30 mph in strength. So it looks like some more seawatching for me tomorrow.

I'm going to finish on a sad note because the amazingly talented guitarist Bert Jansch died today. Have a look at a young Bert performing 'Black Waterside' below. The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that Jimi Page ripped this off for 'Black Mountain Side' that appeared on Led Zeppelin I. Bert once famously said that "Jimi has never been able to look me in the eye since"! He will be sorely missed.

No comments: