Thursday 12 January 2012

Still here, still birding, still trying to get out ringing......

......but struggling to find time to post! Rather than give you some rambling tale of what I have or haven't seen, I thought I would just give you a quick summary.

7th January
Visited my feeding station in the morning and had Sparrowhawk, 2 Buzzards, 18 Reed Buntings, 4 Yellowhammers, 184 Tree Sparrows, 21 Chaffinch, 2 Grey Partridge, 2 Whooper Swans, female Hen Harrier, 17 Skylarks, 72 Lapwings, 2 Corn Buntings and Great Spotted Woodpecker.

On my way home I had a look at some flooded farmland very close to my house that I have been meaning to look at for ages and have never got round to it. It looks to have great potential but is very difficult to view. I had 18 Teal and 2 male Shovelers.

9th January
Back at my feeding station for a late morning visit and I had 31 Skylarks, Buzzard, 18 Chaffinch, 37 Reed Buntings, 2 Song Thrush, 140 Tree Sparrows, 4 Yellowhammers, 2 Fieldfares, 14 Corn Buntings and Grey Partridge.

 Fieldfare

On my way home I had a look at Marsh Farm and there were 5 Shovelers.

11th January
I was surveying a farm on the Fylde today in the fairly miserable conditions of constant drizzle and recorded 80 Lapwings, 4 Buzzards, Grey Wagtail, Nuthatch, 3 Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest, 30 Linnets, Grey Partridge and 10 Tree Sparrows amongst others.

This afternoon I once again headed to my feeding station on Rawcliffe Moss and as per usual a Buzzard called from Curlew Wood. Yellowhammers had increased to 10 and Chaffinch were fairly typical numbering 31. There were a few more Corn Buntings around this afternoon with a total of 18, including a singing bird.

A female, presumably young by its behaviour, Peregrine gave a great display as it shot past Curlew Wood and caused mayhem amongst a flock of corvids feeding in some stubble. She obviously thought that a member of the Crow family was on the menu this afternoon as she gave chase to Jackdaw, Carrion Crow and Rook without success. It was obvious to me that she wasn't going to succeed but I had to give her full marks for effort!

Tree Sparrows numbered 161 and Reed Buntings a fairly average 16. I had 2 Stock Doves and 36 Skylarks before it was time to head off home. The weather is looking okay for some ringing in the morning so I'll let you know how we get on.

No comments: