Friday 27 July 2012

Quiet But Pleasant

I had a pleasant couple of hours watching the sea from the obs this morning before I became a slave to the PC for the rest of the day, or a few hours at least! At first light I had 4 oktas cloud cover with a light westerly wind and after an hour or so the clouds completely cleared.

The first birds I had were four grounded Whitethroats as I walked along the path to the shore. These were the only grounded migrants I had, but I did have three juvenile Kestrels on the ground; they were sat on one of the greens of the golf course! I did wonder if these were the brood of three that Ian and I had ringed from one of our boxes just about 2 km away.

There was a good selection of waders on the beach including 28 Ringed Plovers, 39 Dunlin, 24 Oystercatchers, 161 Sanderling and 42 Turnstones. One of the Ringed Plovers on a different section of beach was giving an alarm call like it had young and low and behold there were three chicks with it. The chicks had rings on so were the birds that Ian had ringed about a week ago. It was good to know that they were still alive!

 One of the roosting Ringed Plovers

The sea was quiet, but there was just enough to keep my interest up and I had 34 Sandwich Terns, 69 Common Scoters, 12 Gannets, 3 Great Crested Grebes, 45 Cormorants and an Atlantic Grey Seal. The only 'vis' I had was 3 Swallows.

It looks as though it might be too windy for ringing in the morning, so I might just have to have a look on the morning tide again and of course there's that Swallow roost to have a look at in the evening.

No comments: