Monday 18 February 2013

Jacks, Rails and Sparrows

Not much to report today I'm afraid. It was a gloriously sunny day but I was stuck in doors for much of the day. Late morning I headed to my feeding station to drop some food off. I didn't have time for a proper look so consequently all I had was a Yellowhammer, 143 Tree Sparrows, 15 Chaffinches, a Song Thrush, two Buzzards and a Kestrel.

 There's eight Tree Sparrows in this picture - honestly!

This evening Ian and I dropped some gear off at the pools in preparation for a ridiculously early start in the morning and flushed four Jack Snipes. Most of the Snipe and other Jack Snipes had already headed out to night time feeding areas and fingers crossed we'll catch a few when they return to roost at the pools just before first light.

Looking out over the estuary it was like a mill pond and we could hear 'Pinkies' flying in to roost and two Water Rails called from the reeds as we headed back to our cars.

No comments: