Friday 15 February 2013

Wind In The....Hawthorns

Dave was down from Orkney this week and we went to my feeding station for a ringing session this morning and as we were putting the nets up it was nice and calm. The first round wasn't too bad, then the wind picked up, then dropped, then picked up again and we decided to call it a day as it whistled through the Hawthorns that weren't giving any shelter as the wind was from the northwest.

We ringed six birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Brambling - 1
Chaffinch - 3
Blue Tit - 1 (2)
Blackbird - 1 (1)
Tree Sparrow - (1)
Goldfinch - (1)

 Brambling

As we weren't there that long it was hard to get a handle on what was about and the details in my notebook are brief but include a calling Tawny Owl, a Barn Owl, two Bramblings, a Redwing, three Yellowhammers, 43 Lapwings and 18 Fieldfares.

The forecast is better for tomorrow so I will return to the feeding station for a short ringing session as we didn't cause too much disturbance this morning. The forecast is good, but than again it was for this morning, so I'll just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

I love tree sparrow.. Greetings..

Mallimak said...

Hi Seumus, thanks for letting me join you again. Turns out the Brambling wasn't a new species for me, I ringed one on the 31 Dec 10. However the Goldfinch was a new species for me to process. Although I have extracted one from a mist net before I didn't get to process it afterwards :-)

The Hairy Birder said...

I llve them too Ana, they are cracking birds!

You're welcome D and I look forward to seeing you in March.