Sunday 28 April 2013

Quiet

A look out of the window at 5.00 a.m. had me thinking that it would be quiet at the obs and when I arrived at 5.30 a.m. I was even more convinced unlocking the gate with a 15-20 mph southwesterly wind with full cloud cover.

I set off on my usual route and an early Willow Warbler gave me some hope that despite the conditions there might be some grounded migrants around. Wrong! I did have a few migrants but it was just one of each; single Grasshopper Warbler, Wheatear and Whitethroat in addition to the 'Willie' and that was it.

As you would expect the vis was virtually non-existent other than a single Alba Wag and eight Swallows north. Offshore it was equally quiet and all I managed to record were a single Red-throated Diver, a Sandwich Tern and ten Common Scoters.

More work for me this week, but I am hopeful of sneaking a couple of mornings in before the weekend again.

No comments: