Sunday 4 May 2014

Sedges

The forecast last night for today was a bit mixed and depending on the timing of the rain it might or might not drop some migrants in. It rained just before first light and as I set off on my walk round the Obs it was raining lightly and the wind was a 10-15 mph southwesterly.

The rain soon stopped and it remained relatively dry for the rest of my walk and it was obvious that it had dropped a few migrants in. First up were two grounded Lesser Redpolls and this was followed by a 'reeling' Grasshopper Warbler. At one point the 'Gropper' was singing away from the top of a fence post, or it was until I pointed my camera at it!

The main grounded migrant of the morning was Sedge Warbler and I had eleven on my walk round, including one singing in the cemetery. And if they're in the cemetery you know there's been a fall. Other grounded birds included single Wheatear, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler; obviously a Sedge morning!

There was no vis to speak of other than 35 Swallows heading south, presumably in to wind as the Bay was locked down with murk. As a result of the murky conditions the sea was very quiet with just 217 Knots, two Common Scoters and a Red-throated Diver.

I'm working again late tomorrow night surveying for Great Crested Newts so I will get out birding in the morning at some point, but it won't be a first light operation with just a few hours sleep as it normally is!

No comments: