Thursday 6 November 2014

A Bit Of Early November Vis

As I walked up to the sea front this morning I could hear Chaffinches calling and I looked up and I could just about make out with my bins a flock of 61 heading south. I wasn't expecting much vis this morning due to the murky conditions out in the bay, but I'm guessing that they were moving ahead of the rain front that was coming in.

At first light I had full cloud cover with a 15 - 20 mph southwesterly wind and then by about 0900 it started to rain. In the end I had 116 Chaffinches over, plus 66 Fieldfares, two Redwings and 202 Starlings that were coming 'in-off' the sea in small groups throughout the morning. It looked as though the Starlings had been attempting ro cross the widest part of the bay and the incoming rain front was pushing them south and east into the bay.

A few waders were on the shore including 206 Turnstones, four Ringed Plovers and 28 Sanderlings. The sea was quiet with just 27 Cormorants, six Common Scoters, an Auk sp., a Great Crested Grebe, a Razorbill, a male Eider and five Shelducks.

There's more rain forecast for the morning but it is supposed be more showery than today so I might manage a couple of hours before I start work.

No comments: