Thursday 27 November 2014

Three Figures!

I called at my feeding station this morning and I was going to say that it was the first time this winter that the count of Tree Sparrows had reached three figures, 107 this morning, and then I looked back in my notebook and saw that on 8th November I had 110! So it is only the second time this winter that the count has got into three figures. There's probably a few more to come yet as they usually peak at about three hundred.

The Yellowhammer numbers are impressive here for the time of year and this morning I counted 14. I know these aren't huge numbers, but normally I wouldn't get these sort of numbers until 'the hungry gap' towards the end of winter, so I'm not sure what's going on. Two thoughts occurred to me; either a good breeding season so there are more birds around or a shortage of food locally forcing them to come to the feeding station earlier than normal.

On my way home I called at the flood and there were two Green Sandpipers, eight Redshanks and 50 + each of Meadow Pipit and Pied Wagtail. Oh and a Grey Wag too.

No comments: