Thursday 14 January 2016

At last..........

..........I got the major report finished that I have been working on since returning to work in the new year! This means that over the next few weeks I am going to be fairly quiet, so that will mean plenty of winter birding starting tomorrow! I would prefer it if my work was quiet in spring and autumn, but unfortunately 'sods law' comes into play and it never works out like that.

In the past few days I have been out, but only for short periods of time. Saturday was a complete washout for my attempted sea watch and lots of murk and rain was the order for the morning. The only things of note were a nice flock of 500 Oystercatchers on beach as the tide ran in. It was that bad that I was surprised I even recorded seven Cormorants, eight Eiders, two Common Scoters and a male Red-breasted Merganser.

I have been feeding at my feeding station and the food is consistently going down. The main species feeding are Chaffinch, Goldfinch and an assortment of Tits. When I called earlier in the week I also had two Song Thrushes, nine Magpies, a Buzzard and a Goldcrest.

There's going to be a cold northwesterly wind tomorrow, but as low water is 0912 I will make the effort and have a look on the estuary.

No comments: