Thursday 7 January 2016

Could It Be Any Quieter?

Yesterday morning I had my first ringing session of 2016 and it was at my feeding station. It was fairly cloudy with hardly any wind, so perfect conditions for mist netting. However, even though the conditions were perfect the birds didn't know that and it was exceedingly quiet!

All I ringed were two birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Blackbird - 1
Goldfinch - 1
Blue Tit - (1)
Great Tit - (1)

 Great Tit

Goldfinch

Even the birding between net rounds was quiet too! The highlights being 200 Pink-footed Geese heading northwest, 23 Magpies, two Song Thrushes, a Snipe, a female Sparrowhawk, a Grey Wagtail and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Later on in the day I had my lunch overlooking the estuary, before having a 'swifty' in the Strawberry Gardens, and had two Whooper Swans in the mouth of the river.

It's looking wet for the next few days before turning drier and cooler next week, so fingers crossed for a few mornings out next week.

No comments: