Thursday 28 October 2021

A House Tick

The only bird list that I keep is a house list. Basically, that is any species of bird that I have heard or seen from my house. It could be a bird in my garden, a flyover migrant, or something calling in the darkness perhaps. The only rule that I set my self, is that I have to be somewhere within the boundary of my property, when I record any said bird species.
 
I was sat at my computer this morning entering some bird records onto the British Trust for Ornithology's (BTO) BirdTrack, when I looked out of the window and picked up a Jay heading south, and battling against the strong southerly wind that is blowing at the moment. 
 
I shouted Gail, and managed to get her on to the Jay from the back bedroom window, and we watched it head south until we could no longer see it. 
 
That was bird species number 73 for our house, so I was very pleased with that. Looking at my list, I have just realised that I need to sort it into the latest scientific order as published by the British Ornithologists' Union (BOU). In fact, I might just do that right now!
 
Not the Jay from my house this morning, but a similar view. And below is 
a Jay in the hand from 2008
 

No comments: