Wednesday 24 December 2008

And Still The 'Wood Pigs' Cometh, 22nd December 2008

Rawcliffe Moss again today and the 'Wood Pigs' had increased in numbers to 6,635 only 4,000 + more than the 2,118 Pink-feet I had! I suppose it becomes the 'same old', 'same old' this time of year, but the important thing is that I am getting out. I finished work on the 19th and it was my intention to get out every day between then and 5th January. I failed and didn't get out on the 21st, but so far so good!

Tree Spadgers numbered 176 today and single Yellowhammer and Corn Bunting were amongst them. I dod have another 5 Corn Buntings elsewhere on the farm. Other finches included 16 Chaffinch, 43 Linnets and 40 Goldfinch. As I have said before I will definitely have a go at catching the Linnet and Goldfinch sometime over the Christmas holidays.

Skylarks had increased in numbers today as I had 25 which is the most here for some time. Raptors were represented by male Sparrowhawk and single Kestrel, and surprisingly I didn't have any Buzzards. The male and female Stonechat were still feeding along the track towards the plantation and next time I am up there I must drop a spring trap and meal worm or two down.

My random picture this week is again from my good pal in Canada, Nigel, and is of a Great Grey Shrike he caught recently whilst out ringing Red-tailed Hawks and Snowy Owls!

No comments: