Sunday 24 August 2014

Second Attempt

The morning didn't start off too well when at 0140 I was running into the garden to bring my moth trap in as it was absolutely pouring down! My alarm was set for 0445 to go to the Obs to do some ringing and from the time I got back in bed after my impromptu shower in the garden, I watched the clock go round until my alarm went off!

Driving to the area of coastal scrub the skies still looked menacing and that northwesterly wind seemed a little bit strong too me. Even when unlocking the gate I thought it was too strong for mist nets but ever hopeful I drove down the track to the centre of ringing operations. I walked down to the first net ride; too windy and I knew there was no hope of getting the Pipit net up, so it was a change of plan and I headed to the reedbed for a second attempt at some ringing.

Ian joined me and we put the usual nets up. It felt quiet and indeed it was quiet, and we ringed eight birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Sedge Warbler - 1
Reed Bunting - 1
Reed Warbler - 2 (1)
Goldfinch - 1
Robin - 1
Greenfinch - 1
Willow Warbler - 1 (2)

 Willow Warbler

The only vis we had was a Meadow Pipit and a Grey Wagtail south. Alba Wagtails totalling 32 moved over, but these were local birds exiting a roost. There was nothing more to add and fingers are crossed for a decent catch of Swallows at the roost this evening.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Not a very satisfactory days catch for a night of lost sleep :-( Good luck with the swallows !

The Hairy Birder said...

I quite agree there Warren!