Monday 11 August 2014

Westerly Woes

It was windy overnight last night and the 30 mph WSW continued into this morning. I had thoughts of a possible Storm Petrel to start my week off, but I knew it was a bit of a pipe dream as it hadn't been blowing long enough! Nevertheless I joined Ian for a seawatch and it was perhaps one of the slowest three hours of seawatching that I had spent, or that I could remember at least!

I won't pad it out, in three hours we had two Fulmars, three Common Terns, 22 Cormorants, six Gannets, two Sandwich Terns, three Common Scoters and ten Manx Shearwaters.

On the shore were 339 Oystercatchers, seven Curlews, 18 Ringed Plovers, 300 Herring Gulls, 100 Sanderlings and 20 Turnstones.

The forecast for the rest of the week is what I call neither 'here nor there'; not conducive to vis or a fall, not windy enough for a proper seawatch and too windy for ringing! All we can do is try and make the most of it.

No comments: