Tuesday 26 August 2014

Ticking Robins

It was hard to hear the ticking Robins this morning in the 15-20 mph easterly wind and I thought about those east coast birders who would be having a field day with lots of good seabirds and scarce grounded migrants. Nevertheless I didn't let my jealous thoughts get me down and I slogged round the coastal scrub of the Obs.

My schoolboy error this morning was getting up too early and I spent the first ten minutes or so birding in the half-light, not that it really made any difference when it came fully light! I always think 'ticking' Robins are so evocative of autumn and this morning four ticked on my walk round. The only grounded migrant, other than the Robins perhaps, that I had was a single Wheatear.

A few hirundines were around this morning with a flock of 35 House Martins feeding on flies along the sea wall and a few Swallows headed south. In fact the Swallows were the only vis I had except for a lonely Grey Wagtail.

The sea was equally quiet with just eight Sandwich Terns for my brief efforts. It was a bit surreal to be buffeted about by an onshore wind! The raptor flag was waved by a Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk. In fact the Sparrowhawk was a female and she drifted quite close to me along the sea wall, and by the tome I'd thought about trying to get a shot and then fumbling for my camera she'd flown by!

My walk back to the car was just marked by a 'starting to get late now' Swift. Some more Swallow ringing tomorrow evening hopefully!

No comments: