Friday 17 April 2015

A Warbler Walk

After nearly a day and half of writing the same report I needed to get out when I finished it late morning. I decided to have a walk down to the estuary as the scrub on the way to the estuary holds a good variety of warblers. High tide was late morning so I knew that the river would be covering the mud and I wouldn't see any species on the river, but nevertheless it would be good therapy after being cooped up indoors!

Sure enough as I set off I had my first warbler species in the form of Chiffchaff and by the end of my walk I had recorded three Chiffchaffs, nine Willow Warblers, Blackcap, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler. If I kept such a thing as a year list the Blackcap, Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler were new for the year. Perhaps that means I keep a mental year list!

Other than the warblers I didn't have a lot else other than a late Rock Pipit out on the saltmarsh; it was just nice to be out in the sunshine! It's ringing for me tomorrow in the reedbeds and scrub, so I'll let you know how I get on.  

No comments: