Saturday 4 April 2015

Where's Spring Gone?

I arranged to meet Kim at the water treatment works this morning to do some ringing there as it was a touch too breezy right on the coast. Before I met Kim I had a quick look in the cemetery to see if there were any grounded migrants, but it was more of a vis morning. Dawn revealed four oktas cloud cover with a 10 mph northwesterly wind and it was cold!

Straight away I picked up Lesser Redpoll, Chaffinch, Meadow Pipits, Goldfinches, Grey Wagtails and Alba Wags heading north, but absolutely nothing grounded.

I met Kim at the arranged time at the water treatment works and we just put two nets up. With the aid of a few MP3 players we ringed ten birds as follows:

Dunnock - 1
Goldfinch - 3
Robin - 1
Chiffchaff - 1
Goldcrest - 4

Situated in the plantation woodland it was hard to discern what was going on from a vis perspective and in addition to what we ringed all I could add was Song Thrush, Redwing and a Sparrowhawk.

The forecast is looking okay for some coastal ringing over the next couple of days so I'll let you know how I get on.

No comments: