Monday 18 July 2022

Ringing and Mothing

On Saturday morning Alice and I had a ringing session at the Nature Park. We aimed to get a session in before the forecast hot weather arrived from Sunday through to Tuesday. It was actually cooler than forecast for Saturday morning, and it was overcast with a 10 - 15 mph north-westerly wind. 

As usual, whilst we were putting the nets up the Starlings were leaving their roost, and there seemed to be less this morning than earlier in the week, so I put 4,000 in my notebook. A bit of an educated guess I suppose, but it will do. 

The birding between net rounds was very quiet, and I've had to force myself just to mention the three Grey Herons that dropped on to the scrape, and the group of three Ravens that went over. It really was that quiet.

Thankfully the ringing faired a little better and we ringed 26 birds as follows (recaptures in brackets):

Cetti's Warbler - 1
Sedge Warbler - 3
Whitethroat - 2
Reed Warbler - 5
Reed Bunting - 1
Blackcap - 3 (1)
Goldfinch - 3
Blue Tit - 1
Dunnock - 1
Long-tailed Tit - 4 (3)
Willow Warbler - 1
Chiffchaff - 1
Wren - (1)
 
Goldfinch
 
Whitethroat
 

On that evening I ran my garden moth trap, and the following morning I had 38 moths of 15 species that I could identify:

Buff-tip - 2
Riband Wave - 1
Dark Arches - 14
Clay - 1
Gothic - 1
Bright-line Brown-eye - 3
Common Rustic - 3
Large Yellow Underwing - 1
Flame Shoulder - 1
Marbled Beauty - 3
Heart and Dart - 3
Uncertain - 2
Silver Y - 1
Small Angle Shades - 1
Grey Dagger - 1
 
Buff-tip
 
In my garden as it was getting dark I had at least three Hedgehogs coming to my feeder. It looked like an adult and two young ones. Superb!

It's forecast to be hot today and tomorrow, but cooling off on Wednesday, so it will be mid-week before I am out again.

No comments: