Monday 6 January 2014

Catch Up

I always seem to be playing catch up after being out birding as there are so many places that I need to enter/update with my sightings. On Friday (4th) I called briefly at my feeding station and there were good numbers of Tree Sparrows, 215, plus 22 Chaffinches and a single Yellowhammer.

Yesterday I was out on the estuary with Ian and although we had a fair few species it was fairly quiet out on the mudflats. We had virtually clear skies with a 15 mph southeasterly wind that was quite biting at times. I made a 'school boy' error when I arrived and parked up as I had forgotten my note book and had to go home for it! Luckily I only live four minutes drive away so it didn't hold me up too much. I just can't bird without my notebook and would actually rather go without bins or a scope than without my notebook!

Walking along the path through the Hawthorns 145 Pink-footed Geese flew over very high and were heading north and we had a further 115 on the estuary. A Grey Wagtail went over and we recorded a Kestrel and Rock Pipit before arriving at the reservoir alongside the estuary. On the 'res' were seven Pochards, six Little Grebes, 17 Coots and 13 Tufted Ducks.

 Pochard

 Coot

 Tufted Ducks

We then had a look on the estuary and recorded 100 Black-tailed Godwits, 165 Lapwings, 354 Teal, 208 Wigeon and 16 Shelducks. After that we went our separate ways and I headed to the pools and reedbeds. Driving down a Water Rail flew across the road and walking through the reeds I had another one calling. Out on the pools were 35 Coots, ten Tufted Ducks and two Pochards.

 There were quite a few Gulls bathing on the pools including the 
Black-headed Gull above and Herring Gull below.



I then moved on to the local wood but it was very quiet and all I had of interest was a party of six Long-tailed Tits. It's all work and no birding for me today but I have to call at my feeding station tomorrow and also my site visit in the Wenning Valley tomorrow can produce a few birds so I should have something to blog about!
  


No comments: