Tuesday 8 March 2016

Albas On The Move

I headed to the Point this morning for an hour and a half for a bit of a sea watch and count any early vis that was on the go. It was another cold morning with two oktas cloud cover and a light northwesterly wind. I joined Ian for a short while before he had to leave to do the school run.

 It was clear this morning and the Lakeland Fells were clearly visible across
the Bay.

Waders weren't really a feature of the morning because I left before the high tide was forcing them to roost on the shingle so consequently I just had 28 Ringed Plovers, 62 Oystercatchers and two Turnstones.

 Ringed Plover

The main point of interest was the movement of Alba wags east in to the bay and mainly out at sea; I had 34 plus a Reed Bunting, a Starling, seven Carrion Crows, a Meadow Pipit and a Grey Wagtail.

The sea was quiet with just ten Eiders, three Great Crested Grebes, two Cormorants, three Red-throated Divers (east in to the bay), six Common Scoters and 15 Curlews (east in to the bay).

The only grounded migrant I had was a Blue Tit that dropped into the solitary bush in the dunes next to where I was standing before moving on!

After I left the Point I headed to Freckleton to drop off a birthday card and present for my good mate Andy, and as I was now on the Ribble I decided to call in at Newton Marsh for a quick look before heading home. I hadn't been to Newton Marsh SSSI since I put it and neighbouring Freckleton Marsh into Higher Level Stewardship in 2009!

Looking across the pools and and marsh I counted a very conservative Little Egret, 180 Lapwings, 400 Wigeon, two Gadwall, three Black-tailed Godwits, four Shovelers, 66 Shelducks and ten Teal. It was nice to see the marsh so full of waders and wildfowl!

 Wigeon and Shoveler.

The forecast is for rain in the morning clearing about lunchtime, so if I get time I might just take a walk down to the river after the rain stops.

No comments: