Sunday 20 April 2014

Gropper

It was back to the Obs for me this morning but without mist nets as the wind was a 15 mph northeasterly and it was quite cold under the clear skies. There was very little new in this morning other than a female Wheatear, a skulking Chiffchaff and a reeling Grasshopper Warbler.

The vis wasn't spectacular, but it was steady, and I had two Lesser Redpolls, ten Meadow Pipits, 25 Linnets, 25 Swallows, six Sand Martins, five Goldfinches, a Curlew and a Carrion Crow.

The sea was even quieter with just two Arctic Terns, three Eiders, a Red-throated Diver and four Sandwich Terns.

After a couple of hours flogging the coast I headed to the pools to have a look. The main reason was to see if I could get in to the Willow Carr to put some nets up, but unfortunately it is still far too wet. However, I did flush six Snipe in my attempt to get in! A few migrants were logged including two Whitethroats, two Sedge Warblers, a Reed Warbler, two Whimbrels, a White Wagtail and three Wheatears.

It was then time for me to head home and check my moth trap. In the trap were 13 Hebrew Characters, an Early Grey, two Light Brown Apple Moths and an Early Thorn

No comments: