Saturday 5 October 2013

Confusing Vis

It was crystal clear this morning and the view from the southern part of the Obs recording area was panoramic to say the least. Standing on my seawatching/vis observation spot and looking east I could see the Bowland Fells, Ingleborough in the Yorkshire Dales and then moving north the Lakeland Fells,out west the Isle of Man and then to the southwest Anglesey and Snowdonia; stunning! Perfect for visible migration you might think, but no the vis this morning wasn't what the conditions would perhaps dictate and was a touch light.

 The number of turbines seems to be increasing

At first light I had two oktas cloud cover with a 10-15 mph westerly wind. I couldn't detect any grounded migrants this morning other than perhaps the eleven Robins I counted on my walk round. There was some vis but as I have already stated it was confusingly light. I counted six Alba Wagtails, 17 Linnets, 52 Meadow Pipits, 21 Skylarks, a Grey Wagtail, a Snipe and a Chaffinch. Interestingly all the Skylarks were heading in to the wind and ultimately out to sea and then turning round and heading back to dry land!

Meadow Pipit

I had a brief look on the sea and recorded 25 Cormorants, 16 Common Scoters, 16 Pintails, a Gannet, twelve Auk sp., four Eiders, a Sandwich Tern, three Great Crested Grebes, a Razorbill and a Shelduck.

Back home I checked the moth trap and I had two Silver Ys and a Blair's Shoulder-knot. The forecast is looking very similar for tomorrow with cloudy skies and a stiff southwesterly breeze/wind. More birding for me and I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Silver Y

No comments: