Friday 3 May 2013

From Woodland To Wetland

I carried out my modified CBC survey of a local woodland this morning that I am doing for the Countryside department of the local authority. It is only a small area of woodland, perhaps only about 1.5 ha. It is surrounded by large mature gardens that belong to the large houses that surround the site.

Everything I had this morning was expected and I recorded birds of the following species holding territories; Dunnock, Collared Dove, Blackbird, Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Greenfinch, Blackcap, Goldcrest, Carrion Crow and Robin.

Lesser Celandine was flowering along with the first Cow Parsely and Bluebell, with Ramsons to follow suit shortly. I then headed up to the reedbeds to see if the water levels had dropped enough for us to get in to do some ringing.

A number of warblers were singing as I walked round to the gate and through into the reedbed and these included two Whitethroats, four Sedge Warblers and four Reed Warblers. The water level had dropped sufficiently to enable us to operate mist nets, so over the next few days we'll get in there to ring some of the Acro's.

No comments: