Monday 3 October 2016

First Redwings

It was another decent morning of visible migration yesterday and I was back at the Obs, but this time I was also doing some ringing. At first light it was clear, calm and cold, and I wished I'd put another layer or two of clothes on!

As I was putting the nets up I could hear Redwings calling but frustratingly couldn't hear them as they were very high, and could therefore only log them as three individuals based on three separate calls. Later in the morning I had a high flying flock of twenty, taking the grand total to just 23.

My other vis totals were 264 Meadow Pipits, three Starlings, 85 Greenfinches, four Chaffinches, 13 Alba Wagtails, four Skylarks, two Reed Buntings, 77 Pink-footed Geese, three Magpies, three Swallows, a Rock Pipit, two Linnets and a Grey Wagtail.

Grounded migrants were restricted to a Song Thrush and I ringed 23 birds as follows:

Wren - 2
Blackbird - 1
Greenfinch - 13
Meadow Pipit - 7

 Greenfinch

Close to one of my net rides I found a Woodpigeon's nest with two well grown healthy looking squabs in it!

There's plenty of Yellow-browed Warblers around at the moment so I am going to try and squeeze an hour in first thing before work and check a few likely spots; you never know!

No comments: