Friday 27 March 2020

Lighthouses

Well, only a few days in of my daily posting attempt and yesterday was a no show! I apologise for that and a note to myself is that I must try harder.

Today's picture is of the Mull of Galloway lighthouse, which of course is situated on Scotland's most southerly point, the Mull of Galloway! In fact, the Mull of Galloway is further south than Carlisle, and is at a similar latitude to Penrith or Whitehaven.

Why am I posting a picture of a lighthouse I can hear you ask? I have always been interested in lighthouses, and as a boy I wanted to be a Lighthouse Keeper when I grew up! That never happened, but my interest and fascination in them has always remained. I think part of that is the geographic locations of lighthouses, and by nature of what they are, they overlook some of the most dramatic stretches of our coast. And with these isolated locations, on islands or headlands, comes birds, and more to the point, bird migration!



If like me you have a love of lighthouses, and perhaps the wildlife found at lighthouses, I can recommend two books. Firstly, is the book that I am reading at the moment A Natural History of Lighthouses by John A. Lowe, and secondly A Lighthouse Notebook by Norman McCanch. Both are very different, but equally excellent.

In my garden moth trap this morning were singles of Common Quaker, Hebrew Character and Clouded Drab. Other invertebrates in my garden during the day were Buff-tailed Bumblebees, and Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock butterflies.

There was a steady passage of Meadow Pipits north during the morning, and a flock of eleven Pink-footed Geese heading south, was an interesting direction for Spring!

It's more garden watching tomorrow as Coronavirus keeps us at home, and I just wanted to thank the NHS for all the hard work they do during these difficult times. And of course, other front-line workers that try and keep things as normal as possible for us all during these far from normal times; thank you!

No comments: